NOYS Event dates during the year – All events 10am-11.30am
Tuesday, August 21st 2018 – CVGT Shepparton
You will learn what support services are available for locally young people and build your own support network in the sector. And if you have a key priority, you wish to describe to the community, why not tap into this valuable arena!
• Wednesday, November 14 – The Youth Foyer
A breakfast is presently being arranged and will be held at Shepparton High School – date to be confirmed.
Youth Opportunity Landscape Forum – 19th July 9:30am-4pm
Join us as we explore opportunities for supporting young people in our community.
– Map the inspiring work that’s already happening in the youth opportunity landscape of the Goulburn Valley.
– Brainstorm what’s working, what’s missing and how we can work together.
– Boost your knowledge in Advantage Thinking, Education Opportunities and Readiness.
– Hear Bryan Jeffrey from MOAT: Mental Health Services discuss the use of mental health knowledge to reengage young people in education.
PLUS discover the results from a recent survey on reengaging young people with education direct from the students themselves.
‘Shutter up… and show us what’s great about your school’
$1000 in cash up for grabs!
Email GMLLEN a photo and short sentence that shows what’s great about your school
For the first year running the photo competition GMLLEN successfully had approximately 70 entries submitted throughout the Strathbogie, Moira and Greater Shepparton shires.
The lucky, randomly picked winner was Nevaeh from Strathmerton Primary School and the voted winner was Jordy from Yarrawonga P-12. Both winners have received $250 each with another $250 going to their schools Strathmerton Primary School and Yarrawonga P-12.
For more information and T&C please read the flyer below
Murray River Culinary Challenge – Commences June 2018
The Challenge involves a competitive cook off over 3 levels:
- School Level
- Regional Final
- Grand Final
The aims of the event include:
- Linking schools and students to industry
- Promoting VET in schools & Structured Workplace Learning
- Promoting career opportunities in hospitality
GV Health Careers Expo – Friday, 31st May 2018
The GV Rural Health Careers Workshop is an initiative involving many key partners including education and training providers, government organisations and industry bodies that have an interest in promoting pathways and career opportunities in the Health sector. The partners are pleased to offer an annual event incorporating a ‘hands on’ approach.
The day will showcase 20 different health career disciplines facilitated by key health professionals to inform students about Health professions. Students will have the opportunity to explore careers, seek clarification and ask direct questions to industry leaders.
The purpose is to inspire secondary age school students through engagement with Health industry professionals in an interactive, informal and fun manner to inform better subject and career decisions.
Students will attend four workshops for the day and there are two workshops that are featured in the morning and two in the afternoon.
Dookie Food & Fibre – 25th May 2018
A one day event with a number of workshops taking place over the course of the day.
If you think this sounds interesting, and you’re in Year 9, 10, 11 or 12, get in touch with your School’s Careers Advisor
Ag is Big Business
Agriculture involves everything from the food you eat to the clothes you wear. There are over 130,000 farm businesses in Australia, supporting not only us, but a $45 billion export industry.
Did you know?
- 99% of farm businesses are family owned and operated
- Each Australian farmer produces enough food to feed 600 people!
- Ag makes up 12% of Gross Domestic Product or $155 billion dollars worth of product
- We export approx 60% of what is produced
- Horticulture is the 3rd largest agricultural industry in Australia and involves growing plants including fruit, vegetables and nuts plus flowers, turf and nursery products. It’s labour intensive and mostly seasonal.
- The Industry is worth $8.7 billion
- Employs over 60,000 people
- Crops cover over 280,000 hectares
- Produce $464 million worth of apples, $626 million of onions and $1,041 million of grapes
- Export to Japan, USA, China, South Korea and Taiwan
Help feed the world
The world’s population is anticipated to reach a massive 9.6 billion by 2050 but 1 in 7 people are undernourished. Feeding the world is a major issue of our time. Make a real impact and help feed our growing population and solve real world issues.
Hands on Trades Career Expo – 3rd May 2018
Get your hands dirty!
The Hands On Trades Expo is your opportunity to try out a range of different trades, from plumbing to mechanics and everything in between.
During the event, the numbers were capped at 2000 students with approximately 1600 students attending on the day.
Careers Day Out – Thursday April 26th 2018
Careers Day Out, held at the Shepparton Showgrounds, is the largest careers and training expo in North East Victoria.
In 2018, Careers Day Out found over 1300 students attended the event during the day and for the first time, held an afternoon event. This afternoon event was open to the public.
Care Factor – Friday April 20th 2018
Care Factor, was an event held at Euroa Secondary College showcasing the services that cater for young people within the shire of Strathbogie.
Youth Services staff were invited to participate in activities to engage and build rapport with young people.
During the event being held at Euroa Secondary College, over 250 students participated throughout the day. In the afternoon the event was opened to the public with activities to take part in and to learn about local services available throughout the Strathbogie shire.