Helping students discover their confidence, resilience, and unique skills & passions and to prepare them for career development and industry training experiences.
Project Ready is a hands-on work readiness and personal development program that incorporates a VET Certificate II in Active Volunteering, it’s aimed at supporting a wide range of students, those at risk of disengaging from school, inclusive education cohorts or those who have not identified a preferred career path or developed the work readiness skills required to successfully transition into further training or the workforce.
In 2021 Project Ready was delivered to 14 inclusive education students from Greater Shepparton Secondary College, facilitated by GMLLEN. Throughout the year the students delivered a breakfast club to Verney Road Kindergarten children, the students had a chance to expand their career knowledge by visiting local workplaces including; Big W, GV Connect, North Shepparton Community Learning Centre, Gotafe and they were fortunate enough to have guest visit the classroom from Geared4 Careers, Built Construction, HR Specialist Maureen Kyne, SAM visual arts teacher Lynda Bryan, Jamie Lea from Shepp Fest, Mayor Kim O’Keeffe and Beacon Foundation.
Project Ready Aims:
- Building ‘groupness’; a safe group space where students feel comfortable to share and personally develop
- Helping them discover their unique skills, strengths and passions in order to plan for their career
- Helping them understand possible training and work pathways through a range of career development and industry engagement activities
- Introducing them to design thinking theory
- Building self-worth, confidence and resilience through personal development activities, volunteering and community involvement
- Improving their communication skills and teaching them workplace communication
- Helping them understand how to work effectively with a diverse range of people
- Teaching them work readiness skills, such as the job application process
- Training them in stress management, mindfulness and goal setting
- Teaching them project development, enterprise and entrepreneurial skills
- Teaching them OH&S skills
- Facilitating work placement opportunities (Structured Workplace Learning – SWL)